The Electronics Shop is part of the Common Area. It is set up to allow experimentation, design, instruction, and repair in the following electronics fields:
- Analog electronics – including power supplys, amplifiers, oscillators, spectrum analyzers, signal generators.
- Digital Electronics – TTL and CMOS, interface chips, CPLDs, and FPGAs
- Microcontrollers – PICs, Picaxe, Basic Stamp, AVR, SX, Propeller, 68HCxx, ARMs, DSP
- Embedded Systems – using Arduino, ST32F4 Discovery, Propeller development, Single board computers, and custom boards
- Computers – Using Linux, Windows, Android and other OSs, including real time applications, Linux/Unix shell and utilities
- Networks – Ethernet, TCP/IP, Routers, WiFI, Zigbee, Mesh
- PLC’s – primarily with Automation Direct equipment, Ladder, Data Flow, Procedural and assembly level programming
- Computer Applications: Blender 3D, Draftsight, Inkscape, Windows, Linux
- Robotics – Small Autonomous, RC, CNC control
- Sensors – Temp, motion, proximity, position, etc.
- Industrial – Three phase power, Motors and control, relays,
- Alternate energy – Wind, passive solar, active solar
- Soldering – manual “thru the hole”, SMD, BGA, Pcb rework
Major equipment available includes:
- Oscilloscopes: Analog scopes by B&K, Tektronix, HP – 80, 350, 400 MHz; Digital scope 200Mhz
- Power Supplies: LV (5, 12, 15, 24V, and adjustible), HV (0-400V), and High Power (0-15V@0-200A supplies) plus numerous small power supplies.
- Function Generators: 0-2MHz, some with external gating and frequency control, 0-5MHz programmable, 0-1.2GHz RF
- Meters: DMMs, both bench and handheld, Analog VOMs
- Circuit Trainers: Elenco trainers containing power supplies, function generator, clock generator, debounced switches, LEDs, and solderless breadboards
- Digital Trainers: Altera (Terasic) DE2 and CPLD trainers
- Computers: several desktop and laptop computers with Linux and Windows along with various programming, test, and simulation software.
- Soldering: Pace PRC 2000 SMD rework station with Thermoflo BGA addon, Semi-Pro Solder Stations – temp controlled, hot air, hot tweeezers, de-soldering.
- Misc: Logic probes, other meters, Variacs, isolation transformers, etc.
FCW can do training in any of the above topics.