FCW will have a Spring Open House on Friday, June 2, 5-9PM and Saturday, June 3, 10AM-6PM. Though visitors are welcome at any time, at the open houses an extra effort is made to present what FCW has to offer.
At the Open House:
- There will be food – burgers and hotdogs on Fri, regular meal on Sat.
- The Railroad will be operating.
- Demos will be in the Electronics and Science areas.
- The laser cutter will be operating.
- The Ham station will be operating.
- There will be tours and activities.
- There will be special membership offers.
Areas available for use at FCW include:
- A machine shop with CNC mill
- A wood shop with 2 CNC routers and traditional tools.
- An electronics shop.
- A Ham Radio station (K4FCW)
- A Science Lab for Chemistry, Physics, and Biology and support.
- A Stagecraft shop for props, sets, costumes, SFX, lights, sound.
- A HO scale model railroad
- A technical library
- A Fabrication lab with laser cutter and 3d printer.
- A vintage computer museum.
- A classroom.
Things are always changing at FCW. The woodshop has been overhauled, the Science Lab and Stagecraft shops are close to starting up, new machines have been added to the computer museum, and the electronics area has expanded. There is also new equipment provided by grants and some exciting plans for the near future.
For more information contact info@foothillscommuntiyworkshop or call (828) 351-2551.
FCW is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
Rick will be conducting classes in Wood Turning on the 3rd Saturday of each month from 10AM – 2PM. Beginners are welcome at any session. Besides the basics, each session will concentrate on methods to create specific items, such as bowls, plates, goblets, table legs, etc. Advanced topics will also be covered.
Space is limited. For more information or to reserve a slot, contact email@example.com
This class is Free and Open to the Public.
Instructor: Gene Chase
Foothills Community Workshop, Granite Falls, NC
March 18, 2017, 1pm to 3pm in the classroom
Introduction to Microcontrollers
The Arduino Uno – Microcontroller Bread Board: An open–source platform used for building electronic projects of all kinds.
Programming the Arduino for Model Railroad Applications
1. At Grade Crossing Flashing Warning Lights, a simple Arduino Uno project for Model Railroaders.
2. At Grade Crossing Flashing Warning Lights, Safety Gates and Bell with approaching train detection.
There is a possibility that we could provide laptops and Arduino kits for each attendee so there could some hands-on programming for more of the class time. (Dependent on class size, maximum of 14-Attendees)
FCW will be having an Introduction to Soldering Class on Sunday, February 26 at 3PM for approx 2.5 hours. The class will provide instruction in “Through-the-Hole” Soldering, using temperature controlled soldering stations. Each participant will solder a project — a small siren, which can be taken home. There is a service charge to cover materials of $10 and each participant should bring a 9V battery for the project. This class is open to the public. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
FCW will host a class to prepare anyone interested in obtaining an entry level Amateur Radio license. The class will meet on three Fridays, January 13, 20, and 27 from 6PM to 8:30PM.
- FCC rules and regulations
- Electromagnetic (radio) waves
- Basic Electronics
- Setting up an Amateur Radio station
- Station operation
- Antennas and Propagation
- Preparation for the Technician level exam.
There is no text required. All materials will be handed out or online. The class is free and open to the public.
Contact Michelle, email@example.com
for more information.
FCW will be having an Open House on Friday, December 16 from 5-9PM and Saturday, Decamber 17 from 10AM to 6PM. Though visitors are welcome any time, at the open houses we make a special effort to display the many areas of FCW. There will be:
- Demonstrations of various equipment including the laser cutter and CNC routers.
- Special membership deals
- the railroad wil be operating
- the Ham radio station will demonstrate digital modes
- there will be displays in the electronics and science areas
The Open House is free to the public. Here is a poster for those who would like to assist with “spreading the word” open-house-half-poster-1-201612
FCW is pleased to host a Google CS-First session on Wednesday, June 15 and Thursday, June 16 from 4PM – 8:30PM. CS First is a free program that increases student access and exposure to computer science (CS) by using the block based Scratch language from MIT.
The program is intended for ages 9-14. The class and materials are free. More information on CS-First can be found at http://www.cs-first.com . To reserve a slot or get additional information, contact Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org or (828) 754-5002.
FCW will be having an OPEN HOUSE on Friday, June 3 from 5PM – 9PM and Saturday, June 4 from 10AM – 6PM.
Though visitors are welcome at FCW any time someone is there, at the open houses, extra effort is expended to promote the facilities, expertise and equipment available and the benefits of joining FCW. At the open house there will be:
- Demos of multiple machines, the laser cutter, 3d printer, CNC router, robots.
- Tours of the facility.
- Displays in the science and electronics areas.
- Demos of the Ham Radio station.
- Persons operating the railroad.
- Food and activities for all.
- Special deals for membership.
Featured at this open house are the Science and Stagecraft areas being completed and the re-structured woodshop.
Invite your friends, associates, co-workers, family, anyone who may be interested in Science, Engineering, Technology or Arts. The open house is free and open to the public.
Here is a poster for the open house. It should be printed then cut in half to form two posters. Open-house-half-poster-1-201606-small
Since the inception of FCW, we have had a small technical library. It has been in contained in some old shelves in the common area. During December, Kay constructed new shelving specifically for the library in the classroom — a more appropriate location. The new shelves also have considerably more room. Dan, Rich, Michelle, and Derek, among others, have contributed several books to the library, with more to come.
General Science (Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy, Biology), Math, Machining, Metallurgy, Ham Radio, Construction, Masonry, Wood Working, Cabinet Making, Wood Turning, Electronics (Fundamentals, Analog, Digital), Microprocessors, Operating Systems, Web Design, Networks, Computers, Security, Programming Languages, Computer Applications, Spoken Languages, Geek Fiction/Non-Fiction, Technical History, several periodicals and other topics of interest to the members.
We are working on organizing the library and developing guidelines for use.
FCW will have an Open House on Friday, December 11, from 5-9PM and Saturday, December 12, from 10AM to 6PM. Even though visitors are welcome at any time, at the open house FCW will have food and special demonstrations, including:
- The Railroad will be operating
- The Amateur Radio station will be operating
- There will be demos of the laser cutter, 3D printer, robots and CNC routers.
There will be food, tours of the space, demos, activities, and special offers. New areas open include the science lab, the stagecraft shop, and a kid’s area. The open house is free and open to the public. Check the website or call 828-351-4225 for directions.